Even though this blog is a bit of a dumping ground for all my musings, I thought it was high time for an update on The List. Let’s review, shall we?
PHYSICAL AND MENTAL HEALTH
30. Climb a mountain.
29. Run a 10k.
I’m actually training for this now – I plan to run one in March. I haven’t decided which one I’ll do, but I can successfully complete 6.2 miles – it’s just my time that I need to substantially improve. I’m on a self-designed program that includes running 12 miles, plus one stretch yoga and one active yoga class, per week for the next 12 weeks. If I meet my goals, I award myself a fancy handbag. Because, of course, the satisfaction of fitness isn’t enough.
28. Nail a handstand in yoga.
Still working on this one.
27. Get spiritual.
I haven’t even broached this one yet.
26. Learn a language.
I plan to take a Spanish Level II class from Jan-March. Wish me luck!
25. Master a skill.
24. Read some books that actually mean something.
The last book I read was “Drinking and Tweeting” by Brandi Glanville. That gives you some semblance of where this goal lies at the moment.
23. Develop some knowledge about cars.
22. Visit Thailand.
21. Take a trip with my Dad.
I’m looking forward to taking my dad to Ecuador this May. Giving him that gift was one of the highlights of my year! Merry Christmas.
20. See a Wonder of the World.
19. Take a cross-country road trip with Brandon.
We hope to do this in 2014.
18. Volunteer regularly somewhere for at least 6 months.
I should really get on this one!
17. Turn off the T.V. for a week.
You’d think this one would have been easy to knock out. I think it will be one of my hardest challenges.
16. Finish my book.
Still struggling with this one, but working on getting re-inspired.
15. Invest in 5 diversified stocks.
14. Build retirement fund.
13. Own a second home.
No progress on these. Perhaps because all my money’s been going to the other goals? Yes, let’s go with that. 🙂
EVOLVE MY RELATIONSHIPS
12. Get closer with my sister.
11. Go on a walk at least once a week with Brandon.
We’ve been doing this somewhat regularly, but we need to get better about it. I can’t wait until his freelance project is done.
10. Try something more sexually adventurous than usual.
TBD. And I probably won’t announce if/when I accomplish this goal.
9. Be a good in-law.
I think I was a great in-law over Christmas, but birthday season’s a-coming!
8. Send a real letter to a friend every month for a year.
I am really proud of how I’ve done with this goal. 4 months down, 8 to go!
TEST MY LIMITS
7. Zip line.
6. Participate in a big cultural event like a music festival or Oktoberfest.
I forgot this was on here! I can’t wait to do that.
5. Swim with a shark. Or at least sting rays.
4. Learn to surf. Or at least try.
3. Be personally responsible for winning a big piece of business.
It’s really hard to be “personally” responsible for this, because I work with a great team. But I am confident that one of the recent pieces of business we’ve won was largely a direct result of my efforts… we all share the victory on all business!
2. Perform in a play or musical.
I’m hoping to take an improv class at Dad’s Garage next year and maybe that will lead to a live performance. Baby steps!
1. Learn to be happy just as I am.
1 thought on “Update on The List”
I was (and am) completely blown away by the gift, Alexis. I am *so* looking forward to our trip together. (I’ve been re-studying Spanish and will be digging out some travel magazines for tips on things to do.) Really great list. Love number 1. Not sure about the shark thing, though…