Been a while since I posted here. And unlike my other failed blog attempts, this break was intentional. I needed a mental chill pill for a while as I dealt with some personal stuff, including moving on from a long-term bout of professional stress and starting my own thing. It’s always been a dream and there’s no time like the present: pre-kids, pre-30, post-experience, post-building a professional network.
There’s also no time like the present to pick back up on my journey of initiatives before turning 30. As you could probably calculate, I’ve recently turned 29 (OH GOD). I’m about to embark on my mountain climbing trip with my dad tomorrow (Father’s Day!), and I type this from our hotel room in Colorado. I’m doing my best to appreciate this time with him rather than dread the 4.4 mile trek up the snowy mountain, which I admittedly didn’t prepare well enough for. Fingers crossed all goes okay…
In the meantime, I thought, hey, let’s update the list. I haven’t been actively pursuing any of the goals, and I’m probably going to have a moratorium on travel for a while as I start my business, but nevertheless, I think I’ll wind this baby down with most of my goals accomplished. Not half bad.
30. Climb a mountain.
Uhhh we’ll see how this goes.
29. Run a 10k. 28. Nail a handstand in yoga.
27. Get spiritual.
Who am I kidding on this one?
26. Learn a language. 25. Master a skill.
24. Read some books that actually mean something. 23. Develop some knowledge about cars.
Car club, holla!
22. Visit Thailand. 21. Take a trip with my Dad.
20. See a Wonder of the World.
19. Take a cross-country road trip with Brandon.
I hoped to do this in 2016 but it may not happen that soon. Either way, it’s the next trip we’ll take together.
18. Volunteer regularly somewhere for at least 6 months. 17. Turn off the T.V. for a week. 16. Finish my book.
15. Invest in 5 diversified stocks.
One of them was Chipotle. I’ll let you chew on that one for a sec. (head shaking)
14. Build retirement fund.
I’m counting this even though I do wish it was larger. I’ve significantly increased it and really worked to consistently invest. It may not grow as rapidly during this time of professional transition for me, but I’m feeling good about where I am for my age.
13. Own a second home.
Unlikely at this point, given where I am with work, but it’s still an ultimate goal to help us continue to build our net!
EVOLVE MY RELATIONSHIPS
12. Get closer with my sister.
I need to continue to do this but I think we have a better relationship – I know we had a great time at Serenbe!
11. Go on a walk at least once a week with Brandon.
Still working on this one, but definitely spending more quality time together. 🙂
10. Try something more sexually adventurous than usual. 9. Be a good in-law. 8. Send a real letter to a friend every month for a year.
TEST MY LIMITS
7. Zip line.
6. Participate in a big cultural event like a music festival or Oktoberfest.
5. Swim with a shark. Or at least sting rays. 4. Learn to surf. Or at least try. 3. Be personally responsible for winning a big piece of business. 2. Perform in a play or musical.
I performed in the work band at the Christmas party and solo’ed 2 songs – including HELLO by Adele. I’m freaking counting this!
My husband isn’t the best cameraman, but if you want to endure the shakiness and crane your head to see me behind a pole, you can check out the performance.
1. Learn to be happy just as I am.
Getting there. Day by day.